Sunday, June 13, 2010

Milt Jackson


It might not be too obvious for readers of this blog, but I´m really quite fond of straight old fashioned jazz! To be honest, the great vibraphone player Milt Jackson´s visit in this blog post is just a coincidence, since I´m still a bit childish, and try to win free CDs! This time the people at the music library in Stavanger were kind enough to let me win Milt Jackson & The Jazz Giants´collection of two original albums "Bean Bags" and "Bags´ Opus" (EJA 2009).

I have to admit that vibraphone was one of the instruments I really couldn´t stand when I was young (the other one was organ), but luckily things change over the years, and this is just fantastic music! The cover booklet is fine to, containing the original liner notes by Nat Hentoff, and the Down Beat reviews ("Bags´Opus" score a half star more than "Bean Bags").

All the music was recorded in 1958, and here are the musicians:

"Bean Bags": Milt Jackson, Coleman Hawkins, Tommy Flanagan, Kenny Burrell, Eddie Jones and Connie Kay.
"Bags´Opus": Milt Jackson, Art Farmer, Benny Golson, Tommy Flanagan, Paul Chambers and Connie Kay.

No comments: