Sunday, April 12, 2009

Dead serious


Bengt Frippe Nordström's "Creative Addition" was out on Ayler Records in December 2008. These tracks are live recordings from Sweden in 1987 and 1988, and the musicians are Bengt Frippe Nordström (clarinet, tenor sax, voice), Lars Svanteson (violin), Björn Alke (bass) and Peeter Uuskyla (drums). This is a great album, and I'm sure it's free jazz (or something thereabout), but we also get small melody lines from folk tunes and evergreens. From the stage we even get a clear message that this is dead serious music (in Swedish). Nice!
Nordström (1936 - 2000) was unknown to me before I got this album, and after the first hearing I really thought the music was quite new too, and not more than 20 years old.

I shopped my "Creative Addition" at eMusic, but I have to say it again (I must have said it before?): I want all my info at the sellers and record companies' sites! I know it's always (almost) possible to find what you want after some serious net searching, but I miss my cover if I can't find the producer's name, when and where the music was recorded and the record on sale, the musicians on each track and so on! Damn it, I'm getting a bit grumpy here. (Thanks to AAJ for some info).

No comments: