Friday, February 20, 2009

Vandermark 5: Beat Reader


I have to admit I was a bit slow at discovering Ken Vandermark. Oh yes, he's on the shelves here with Paal Nilssen-Love, the Thing, Chicago Tentet and Fire Room, but when I finally got myself a Vandermark 5 record ("Beat Reader", Atavistic 2008), I realised it's their album number 10 since 1997. Oops.
The musicians of the band (these days) are Ken Vandermark (baryton, clarinets), Dave Remis (tenor), Tim Daisy (drums), Ken Kessler (bass) and Fred Lonberg-Holm (cello). This is a great and varied album (in fact every single tune is varied!), with hard swinging jazz, contemporary classical, free impro and rock. When the cello player gets going, I smell rock guitars all over the place.
Every tune is dedicated to persons from music, literature and movies (I only know a couple of them), and there might even be connections to the Beat movement?

Ken Vandermark is active on the net too. Check out his site and follow him on Twitter (where it seems like their fighting bad acoustics in Norway these days)..

No comments: