Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tuesday at Moldejazz


My first concert on tuesday was Brad Mehldau Trio. Damn sofisticated guys, with improvisations going far out into the countryside. There were origanal tunes, standards, some Monk and Sound Of Music, and towards the end Sufjan Stevens' "Holland". It was a great concert, and they got a standing ovation. But why so serious (with capital S)? If they saw someone taking pictures, they would probably go off stage and not come back. I was dead nervous for the first twenty minutes, and just waited for the first flash, but then my photo finger started to itch.

A message to the female part of the loving couple in front of me, who kissed 400 times: You have to leave the guy alone for some minutes. No kissing when he's listening to the drum solo.

Around midnight Elephant9 got going. Ståle Storløkken (keyb), Nikolai Hængsle Eilertsen (b) and Torstein Lofthus (dr) made groovy keyboard jazz. They started off with Joe Zawinul and continued with their homemade brew, perfect for late night jazz clubbing. I even observed some young people dancing. Pretty tough, but I could handle it.

No comments: