Saturday, December 22, 2007

Canterbury or thereabouts


When it comes to the Canterbury-scene, I have been focused mostly on the works of Robert Wyatt and Kevin Ayers. Yeah, I have got the original post-Waytt-Soft Machine albums, Henry Cow, Slapp Happy, some Gong albums, a couple of Caravan records and some odd ones (Egg, Quiet Sun), but how may I become more Canterbury? I'm not too fond of jazzrock and prog, and prefer the more whimsical stuff to the studio perfectionists. I have started with a couple of albums from MoonJune, that were pretty good (Soft Machine Legacy and Mark Hewin & Elton Dean),and I know there are hundreds of lists out there with "best of Canterbury" records (see 1,2), but I want some direct help here. In Cahoots, National Health, Caravan, Soft Heap, Soft Machine Legacy, soloartists, whatever? Are there some new artists that fit into this (perhaps non-excistent) scene?

No comments: